themed image

decorative arrow Find help decorative arrow Health professionals


Find help

For immediate assistance or support please call Lifeline on 13 11 14 for confidential 24 hour counselling and referrals.

ACPMH does not provide direct clinical care. If you need medical or psychological assistance please contact your doctor or health professional.

Australian helplines and websites are listed below. International visitors should talk to their doctor about help that is available in their own area.

24-Hour helplines

More help and information:

Alcohol and other drugs

The Australian Drug Information Network (ADIN) has comprehensive information and a list of resources available across Australia.

The Alcohol and other Drugs Council of Australia (ADCA) can provide you with the number of an information service in your state or territory.

The Right Mix: Your Health and Alcohol website has simple information about standard drinks, facts about alcohol and medication, as well as sleep and health conditions for veterans and their families. Veterans can assess their drinking on the website, find out how to start making changes and where to go for help if they are concerned about their drinking. The site includes resources for practitioners and veterans.

Alcoholics Anonymous - National Office: (02) 9663 1206.

Asylum seekers, refugees and migrants who have experienced torture and trauma

The Forum of Australian Services for Survivors of Torture and Trauma (FASST) has a list of agencies that provide support, advocacy and treatment.


Carers Australia offers information, resources and access to support groups. Call 1800 242 636.

Children and young people

Kids Helpline offers web-based, email, or telephone counselling for children and young people aged 5 to 25 years. Call 1800 55 1800.

ReachOut has information on a range of mental health and related issues that affect teenagers and young adults.

headspace, the National Youth Mental Health Foundation, has information on trauma and mental health, where to get help, and online support.

Children of parents with a mental illness

The COPMI resource centre provides information, resources and access to services at

Depression and anxiety

Several organisations offer access to information, resources and services, including:


The Red Cross has information, advice, and resources for kids, teenagers,
teachers, and parents. Visit

Other helpful web resources include:

Domestic violence and sexual abuse

The Domestic Violence & Incest Resource Centre is a statewide Victorian service that can provide the names and contact details of agencies and support groups throughout Australia.

Immigrant women’s domestic violence services: there are several services in each state and territory. Visit or for a list of services throughout Australia.

Mental health and wellbeing

Military personnel

Other services


Parentline provides telephone counselling to parents and careers of children aged 0 to 18 years. Visit or call 13 22 89.

Information on how to talk to children and teenagers about their problems and where to find help, as well as online and telephone support, is available through headspace at


The Australian Psychological Society has a register of psychologists, listing their specialty. Call 1800 333 497.

PTSD and trauma

Road accidents

Sexual assault

The Australian Centre for the Study of Sexual Assault has a list of the main sexual assault services in Australia. All states and territories have crisis lines listed in the front page of the White Pages telephone directory.

Social workers

For a register of accredited mental health social workers, visit the Australian Association of Social Workers.

Torture and trauma

Veterans and their families

The Department of Veterans' Affairs can provide information and referral advice, 1800 555 254

VVCS - Veterans and Veterans Families Counselling Service: 1800 011 046, from anywhere in Australia. A specialised, free and confidential service provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs for Australian veterans and their families.

If you have any questions about your eligibility to access VVCS services, contact your nearest office.

What services do VVCS offer?

Specialised PTSD treatment programs are available in most states for veterans and military personnel. For more information: PTSD treatment programs for veterans and military personnel.

Victims of crime

A list of victim support hotlines in each state and territory, as well as information about other relevant services throughout Australia, is available at

Vocational rehabilitation

For help to return to work visit